Thursday, April 30, 2009

My fave from 'Great Vegetarian Dishes'


This is one of my top 10 Favorite meals, It is a lovely recipe from Kurma Dasa, an inspired vegetarian chef who really knows his stuff! It comes from one of his cook books called ‘Great Vegetarian Dishes’.
When we first made this dish I must tell you I was not too keen on some of these veggies! I really wasn’t! But something unbelievably magic happens with this combination, give it a go and please let me know what you think! Kurma dasa is here http://www.kurma.net/recipes/index.html

Vegetable Sauce (served with couscous)
Sauce
3tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon yellow asafetida powder
6 small zucchinis cut into 2.5 cm sections
2 medium green peppers, seeded cored and cut into thick strips
2 cups pumpkin, cubed
1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 small turnips, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
at least 4 cups water
2cups (500ml) chickpeas, cooked and drained
8 medium tomatoes, diced
1½ teaspoons ground coriander
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons turmeric
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 small hot green chilies, chopped
1½ teaspoons salt (I use sea salt)
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To Make the Sauce
Melt butter in heavy base saucepan. Add the asafetida, zucchinis, peppers, pumpkin, potato and turnips and sauté for 10 minutes. Add half the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, chilies, salt, pepper and the rest of the water, (adding more if needed). Stir well and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for another 15 minutes. Towards the end of the cooking time prepare your couscous.
A couple of extra notes from me on Kurma’s recipe;
* I find my veggies don’t need quite this amount of time, I might cut mine a little smaller than I need to perhaps. I keep an eye on the pumpkin so it does not go mushy.
*I usually make a gigantic pot of this squirrel it away in freezer, it reheats fine but you need it really hot so the texture of the potato comes up ok.
*I add about 3 times the spices and liquid to make it go a very long way.
*Start with a little chili and build up if you are worried, this really is not a spicy dish though, even with 2 chilies.