Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Curried Sausages (not too stodgy, not too posh)

We have been really lucky this year and have had heaps of precious rain falling in the Yarra Valley. Unfortunately, water storage around Australia is still pretty dire, but for now I am just thankful our huge water tank is full and wishing we had more tanks!
As well as wet it’s also been unbelievably cold here, really freezing. It’s perfect “Pot o stew” kind of weather! So I have been thinking comfort food and what I could make for dinner and also squirrel away a decent stash in the freezer.
I remember my lovely Nan used to make Curried Sausages when I was a young girl and I really loved them then...these days they are a little bit too stodgy for me, but the basic concept was appealing enough to pep it up into a healthier version. I looked at several recipes on the net, then I took what I liked from them and added my own spin.
Anyway, I think it has turned out a winner, but, more importantly, my kids think it’s great stuff too. Pheww! That’s a relief because I made the most enormous pot of it!
This is a rough guide on how I made it…detailed enough to follow I hope. It’s ‘Honkey white boy style’ – not your authentic curry but it is really really very yummy!
If anyone out there makes this I would love to hear how it went.

The makings of a hearty stew

(not too stodgy, not too posh) Curried Sausages
Serves a huge number of people!

4 tbls olive oil
1 tbls black mustard seeds
3 onions
2+ cloves of garlic
2 carrots
1 turnip
¼ bunch of celery throw in some leaves too
¾ cup red lentils
½ cup puy lentils (French lentils)
8 thick sausages (I used pork & apple snags but you could use any that you like)
5 medium potatoes (cubed 3cm ‘ish’)
½ little cabbage (shredded then chopped)
½ cup sultanas
½ bunch of flat leaf parsley
½ bunch of coriander
1-2 tbls vegetable or chicken stock (to taste)
1-2 tbls curry powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil, stand back and fry black mustard seeds until they pop, add the fine diced onion and cook slow until nice and soft. I always take my time to do this as crunchy onions are no good in a soft squidgy stew.
Add garlic, fry 3 minutes. Add curry powder and ground turmeric. Sniff when it gets frying – turmeric has the best smell when frying!!
Dice carrot, turnip and celery – I cut these 1cm or even smaller, so it’s more likely the kids will eat. Throw these in with onions and cook for about 5 mins?
Wash and drain the lentils and add these to the pot too – stir until covered in oil and cover well with water. The lentils just add substance and are not necessary – it just makes the meal healthier and stretches it out further.
While this is going on, place sausages in water – prick a few times and just bring to the boil and turn down. Simmer now for 8-10 mins. You can peel them if you want to, depends on the snag. Slice the sausages as you like – thinner slices go further!
Add your cubed potatoes to the veggie mix. Waxy potatoes are good because they will hold together if the lentils are taking their time to cook.
At this stage, I also add the sultanas (so they have time to puff up), and the parsley and coriander (I use all the stalks and wanted them to soften) and the cabbage.
Add stock, salt, pepper and top up with water (you want it to look like it might be a soup at this stage)
Cook for a further 10 minutes or so…taste frequently and season more + more + more if needed.
When potato and puy lentils are cooked, mix water and corn flour together and stir into the stew. This should thicken up nicely.
The ingredients and their quantities could be varied easily in this recipe. Don’t be scared to omit lentils or carrots for example (I actually hate cooked carrots but don’t mind them ‘in things’) One thing I think I will do next time is add more sultanas…Mmmmmmmm! P.S. serve with some potato mash or rice. We had ours with a potato pumpkin mash...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Curried Sausages

2 comments:

frog said...

I must say, I'm a fan of curried sausages too - but I haven't progressed much beyond my mum's version which 'less stodgy'.

Two Tuesdays said...

Yup. This is on the to try list. Yum!