Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I've been to spice heaven in my own kitchen!


Ras El Hanout
Ras El Hanout is a blend of spices and herbs used in Moroccan cooking, the name Ras El Hanout translates to 'top of the shop' - I guess it's like saying 'Top shelf!'
Some blends can have 100+ ingredients and varies from person to person, shop to shop. I recently bought a blend by
Herbies spices They do a great little packet of this special Moroccan blend of spices and herbs that smells and tastes heavenly. (40g pkt would make 12+ serves) Herbies own recipe of spices/herbs is quite simple and mild and is really not hot at all so don't be put off if you are a bit of a sook with the hot stuff! It contains Paprika, Cumin, Ginger, Coriander Seed, Cassia, Turmeric, Fennel Seed, Allspice, Cardamom Green, Dill Seed, Galangal, Nutmeg, Orris root, Bay Leaves, Caraway Seed, Cayenne, Cloves, Mace, Black Pepper, Brown Cardamom, Whole Kashmiri Saffron Stigma. Unlike some traditional recipes for the spice/herb blend he has left out the Hashish and the Spanish Fly.
Herbies have some great products...I think I want a job with these guys as well!! Mmmmmm!
We used the suggested recipe and even though I thought these ingredients were a little odd and I really don't dig cooked carrots...this was absolutely outstanding! I recommend everybody rush out right now and grab some, it is such a treat for your tastebuds!
I really love this blend, I will be looking to try other meats/veggies with it and I am going to make my own Ras El Hanout blend so I can make a much larger quantity...only problem is what recipe to choose?
Thanks Greg for the above spicy photo, would have been great being surrounded by those lovely spices!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Michele x

5 comments:

m.e (Cathie) said...

mmm, that definitely is spice heaven!!!

Greg Robbins said...

You can sprinkle Ras el Hanout on meats, fish, salad, whatever... and it's great.

It also makes an interesting substitute for curry in dishes that call for it.

The picture of the spice shop is in Marrakech. It really smelled good in there!

trixi said...

I'm a fan of Herbies spices too! When I go to his shop I walk in with the intention of buying one thing and end up buying a whole lot of other spice mixes as well. It's mesmerizing. Next time I'm going to try Ras el Hanout. Imagine working in that shop!!

Happydacks said...

I am thinking of booking my ticket to Marrakech
Chele x

Sabrina said...

I love exotic spice blends! n