Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Meat Loafing around!!!

Favorite skirt

It was 0.5 degrees here this morning and the fire had gone out overnight - brrrrr! I am still feeling crappy -the doctors bills piling up - I was definitely not feeling too "thrilled" with things this morning!
I believe it is the perfect time to win some tattslotto and get some kick ass ducted heating!
Unfortunately this did not happen today...so I opted for some very serious comfort food!
The following recipe has been a family favorite forever, warning though, it is 'almost too nice' served hot with green veggies and a heap of scalloped potatoes (like it needs any added decadence)

OR it works well in a picnic lunch cold with steamed potatoes, green salad and some bubbly!
This one has been a family favorite forever! It also can also be frozen!
This recipe is really, really easy and my kids love it!

*The Loaf
1kg of fresh minced steak - no preservative etc (get from a good butcher not a supermarket)
½ finely chopped onion
1 'good' egg
½ cup milk
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
lots of chopped parsley
Mix well together and shape into a loaf with slightly flat top in a baking dish.
Cook in moderate oven (180oC) for ½ hour before adding glaze below.

*The Glaze
¼ cup water
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 rounded tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 tbls of corn flour blended with a little water
Simmer for 5 minutes, then add, gradually, 1 tbls of corn flour blended with a little water.
Cover meat loaf with 1/3 of the glaze mixture cook for 15mins repeat and repeat again.
Cook for 1 hour.
If you make it I would love to know!!
Michele x

Meat Loaf and Scolloped Potatoes

3 comments:

trixi said...

Haven't tried your meatloaf recipe, we're vegetarians but was wondering what you've backed there next to the meat loaf...looks seriously delicious! I made your (kurmas) red lentil and pumpkin soup the other day...I cheated a bit I used one of Herbies curry mixes...although I don't think that's a real cheat...anyway it was a super success, everybody loved it...so thanks!

Miss Prudence said...

"good egg" - egads! it may be i have been mixing with bad eggs all this time, well that explains me a lot!!! LOL - Organic and big? yeah?
Just teasing....how has your week been?

xxx

ps you ought to see the word verification for my comment " smutter" methink my goody girl faced is unravelling!

poppy kat said...

Yum, must try that recipe soon.