Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Eight answers

I am joining in with Kate's Eight answers...a little late but as they say in the classics "better get in now or forget it"! Have you been over to Foxes lane lately, there is some inspirational up cycling going on and I am so excited about what Kate and Bren at Daylesford organics have created.
How fantastic to have Joel Salatin (polyface farm) come and visit, and to have Maggie Beer and Stephanie Alexander rock into the market...what a buzz!
Pop over to see what other people answered here.

1. Favourite meal to eat?                                                                                                                                                                       A bowl of tarka dhal, yellow rice,a spinach curry, riata and papadams is hard to beat here - or if I am feeling decadent - Mali kofta - deep fried koftas made from panir cheese mixed with things like almonds, coriander, green chili, sultanas served swimming in a lightly spiced creamy tomato sauce w yellow rice and papadams!!! I cook to eat well, we don't spend much on going out...sadly we can not justify this, so when I see something delicious on TV, in a cook book or on a menu and, I feel driven to make it...or attempt to make it!
Yep, I am a bit of a food nut…if I have the time, I love to cook up a storm. I should be 2,039 kg!

2. Do you have a quirky eccentricity?

I have an off beat/dark sence of humor and a geographical tongue.

3. My middle name

me Jayne (my husband's middle name is 'Tarsan')

4. I am passionate about

I am passionate about Food and feeding my family foods that are not processed, not packaged, that are local when possible, that are diverse in tastes and that encourage an adventurous, even multi cultural outlook.
I call it real food, for me it is food that has had care and respect in every process – tilling, growing, tending, feeding, harvesting, storing, transporting and selling. I hate supermarkets (as they are today) - they encourage our society's dangerous disconnection to our food and to the planet Earth. I am conscious these days of the terrible farming practices, lack of social/environmental care taken and the ridiculous costs to ship something that is not in season around the globe! I say it again...I hate supermarkets!

5. Thongs or Birkenstocks?

Thongs or boots – no heals please! Being a tallish lanky girl I don’t need the extra height - I like worker/kicker boots teamed with a pretty op shop dress.

6. Who was I before I had kids?

Looking from this vantage point and being blunt - I have to say I was a little self obsessed and had no real direction. I was a hairdresser in a previous life!? Then a picture framer for years and while I loved the creativity of the work I worried that it was hardly a sustainable industry that I could throw my soul into!

7. Have I ever been arrested?

No, I must say I am little disappointed too!!! I should have been more involved in my younger years!

8. This weekend I will I will be
I will be working but, happily! I am still finding it great fun and the money helps too, so this is all good!
I work at a gourmet food shop that sells, beautiful ingredients, condiments and sauces, we are also an exceptional quality butcher and Fromagerie with world class cheese. We also stock organic/local fruit and veggies and artesian breads.
I am also hoping to catch up with some friends, to do something fun with my kids and finish off a sewing project (one of many)!

Thanks for popping in!
Michele x

Mali Kofta recipe here also
Home made panir cheese recipe and step by step photos here soon!!!
Michele - again xx

2 comments:

Kate said...

yay! I'm so pleased you played Michele as I loved reading every single one of your answers and getting to know you better. I love your answer to number 4 and the eloquent way you put it. Hope you are having a great day and keeping warm.

Poppy said...

That is a great list Michele, Good to know a bit more about you.
Poppy